- The GSM of fabric is one kind of specification of fabric which is very important for a textile engineer for understanding and production of fabric. ‘GSM’ means ‘Gram per Square Meter’ that is the weight of fabric in gram per one square meter. By this we can compare the fabrics in unit area which is heavier and which is lighter.
- For measuring GSM, a GSM cutter is used to cut the fabric and weight is taken in balance. Both of these measurement and method is equally used for both woven and knitted fabrics.
- Let suppose … Width is 50 cm, Length is 80 cm, Weight is 215 g
GSM = 215 (0.5 * 0.8) = 538 g / m2
- Typical fabric and its GSM (in general)
- Change of fabric GSM vary with yarn count.